Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Creative work not selling? How do you stay motivated?

Sometimes you can go a few months without selling any designs particularly if you are only just starting out. It can take a good few years for a new business to really kick off the ground. You need to really persevere, stay focused and be positive.

I started freelancing for Black Cherry Studio in April 2012 but we didn't start showing our designs until later that year in September. It has only been the last few months that more of my designs have started to sell.

I have good and bad days but that is normal. I always said I would give Black Cherry 2-3 years and it's been just over 18 months now and I really think that Black Cherry is really starting to own a place in the competitive fashion industry. We recently did a show, Indigo in Paris and unfortunately I didn't have any designs sold there, but there is no need for me to take it heart. There is always next time.

You just have to keep going, keep aiming for your goals and even past them. Take baby steps, don't plan too far ahead as you never know what is around the corner. Anything can crop up at any time which can change anything and everything.

If you are having a bad day, take a break that's what I do. Sometimes if something doesn't go to plan and it really frustrates me I have to walk away as I know I won't perform and create the best designs that I know I can do.


Remember...

            ...Everything happens for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...