Friday, 11 October 2013

Made By Mrs M

It's Follow Friday!

Kate Marsden a designer behind 'Made By Mrs M' is a contemporary textile designer with a passion for surface pattern and fibre art. Kate has a varied approach towards textiles design from ceramics to cross stitch and from knitting to printing.

You can also find Kate on Facebook and follow Kate on twitter @kdmarsden. You can find Kate's products on Folksy, Etsy and Society6. You can also view updates from Kate on what she is up to on her blog.



Have you always wanted to be a designer?

I certainly did when I was at school, and I studied Fashion & Textiles at college. However I ended up working for a City law firm for 15 years and I've only returned to designing relatively recently.

How have you got to where you are now?

I'm still only really starting out. Made By Mrs M has been a very part time enterprise over the past couple of years. It's reached the point it's at now as a result of slowly building up collections, blogging and getting to know people. It's taken time and a lot of work (and there's still a long way to go!).

What's your next step?

I've just resigned from the day job so I'm intending to spend a lot more time on my design work come the new year (as well as more time with my son before he starts school).

What inspires you?

I'm inspired by everything and anything (as evidenced by my vast array of Pinterest boards!), but my designs are primarily inspired by the architecture and design of the 1950s.

What motivates you?

Finally having the opportunity to do something I love for a living. That's where I'm aiming to be within the next couple of years.

How do you start a new project/design?

Most of my pattern designs start with a photograph - I'll take a picture of a building that inspires me, then come home and paint it. I then turn my paintings into patterns using Photoshop.

What do you enjoy the most between textiles, painting and ceramics?

Definitely textiles - it was my first love (alongside fashion)!

What do you enjoy most about being a designer?

Just having the opportunity to do something I actually enjoy. At the moment I find it very hard to fit designing in though. I'm looking forward to spending more time on it next year.

Do you have a favourite design that you have created?

My Park Hill fabric is probably my favourite, but I really like my new South Bank design at the moment.

What media do you like to use?

I use acrylics for my paintings, other than that I like to use a wide range of different media and try new things out.

Do you have a favourite designer?

I'm not really sure I have a favourite as such. I've always loved Orla Kiely's patterns. I'm also inspired by artists such as Bridget Riley and Patrick Caulfield and fashion designers such as Paul Smith and Bella Freud (who I met when I was at college - still star struck!).

Favourite blog?

Again, lots! I really like the following:
Oh my! Handmade goodness - http://ohmyhandmade.com/
Design Sponge - http://www.designsponge.com/
Sue Bulmer - http://suebulmer.blogspot.co.uk/
Meet me at Mikes - http://meetmeatmikes.com/

Favourite design book?

Another really hard one. I have an art and design book addiction! If I had to choose one, I'd go for You can find inspiration in everything by Paul Smith.

Thank you for your time Kate, I really appreciate it. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...